Monday, July 22, 2013

Kathy Morton- living with PH, biking across Iowa in 7 days

from Left: Arek Wdowiak,  Michelle Eggert,  & Kathy Morton (living w/ PH)



“I work full time as a high school teacher, exercise regularly, and experience a virtually symptom-free life. Early diagnosis has allowed me to call the shots in my life, rather than PH.” --Kathy Morton (living with PH)


Kathy is calling a big shot this week in her life. She will be participating in the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa  (RAGBRAI), a 7 day bike ride across the state of Iowa. RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring event in the world. The ride typically covers over 460 miles.



Kathy will be sharing her story with us each day as she rides this week.  She has shared her first picture from her epic journey- dipping her wheels into the Missouri River.  

"This trip will be a journey, much like PH," she shares. "It won't always be easy, but I expect to learn a lot about myself and (that) I meet some great people along the way." 


Kathy shares her story of Day 1, July 21st: A 52 mile ride from Council Bluffs, Ia to Harlan, Ia. Around 12000 people were expected to ride today, last I heard. RAGBRAI is more than just the riders, just as the PH community is more than just patients. There are thousands of volunteers and across I people go out of their way to help the riders. For example, one family allowed riders to jump in their swimming pool a they passed by, while another opened up their home and allowed strangers to enter and use a real restroom, allowing us to avoid the dreaded port-a-potty.


This same spirit of helping others exists in the PH community. Patients, caregivers and friends can be found on message boards, Facebook pages and newsgroups. These people are always going out of their way to help others, whether is by hosting a chat, posting articles on current research, and just being their with a word of encouragement. These are only a few ways the PH community comes together. I lived in Iowa until I went to college, but I will always be proud to call myself an Iowan and I am delighted.

1 comment:

biking tips said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.